Lions who desire to lead and train others at the local level will benefit from the FDI, where they will learn fundamental training delivery skills and practice facilitating in a classroom environment.
Candidates for FDI should meet all qualifications before applying.*
- Current member of a club within the constitutional area.
- Not attended an FDI within the last five (5) years. (International or Local)
- Have an interest in improving training delivery skills.
- In-depth knowledge of Lions’ culture, Lions leadership experience and comfort using PowerPoint is preferred.
*Current District Governors who meet the qualifications will be considered for participation on space available basis only.
Upon acceptance to the institute, participants are obligated to the following:
- Attend all sessions of the 3-day institute.
- Arrange personal travel to and from the institute.
- Complete pre-assignments prior to arrival.
- Arrange to be observed and evaluated conducting a local training event within 6 months of attending the FDI.
- Pay US$150 participation fee.
- Review the FDI Quick Guide for additional information.
Is the FDI right for you? The FDI and LCIP Comparison Guide provides an overview which is helpful in identifying the best training pathway based on your current level of training experience.
COVID-19 Attendance Guidelines
In the best interest and safety of our Lions and others, please follow the guidelines below.
- Follow relevant guidance provided by the World Health Organization (WHO), or your local health authority.
- Adhere to all government issued travel restrictions, quarantine guidelines, and vaccination mandates issued by the region to which you will be traveling and the region you will be traveling from.
The FDI Experience
This three-day institute will develop and expand the number of skilled Lions faculty available for use in training at the club, district, and multiple district levels. A post institute training assignment (within 6 months) marks the completion of the institute and confirms participants as FDI Graduates.
- Day 1
- Welcome: Meet your faculty and participants.
- Introduction to Training: Identify the differences between a training session and a presentation and recognize the qualities of an effective trainer.
- Adult Learners: Identify the characteristics of adult learners and develop strategies for motivating adults.
- Performance Demonstrations: Establish your “starting point” by delivering a self-introduction.
- Training Preparation: Identify steps that can be taken to effectively prepare for a training session.
- Training Delivery Skills: Learn to establish credibility and demonstrate effective delivery techniques.
- Day 2
- Performance Demonstrations: Practice establishing credibility and introducing a training session, including objectives and the plan for achieving those objectives.
- Interactive Learning: Learn how to encourage interaction, provide feedback, and manage learning activities.
- The Training Environment: Recognize how to create an environment conducive to learning and how to manage that environment.
- Day 3
- Performance Demonstrations: Present a topic and manage an activity related to that topic.
- Making Use of Your Skills: Learn about the post-institute graduation requirement and formulate a plan to complete it.
- Closing: Applaud each other as you complete a successful institute and prepare to apply your learning when you return home.
Ready to apply? Select your constitutional area to begin!
All dates and locations are subject to change. Please note that application forms are available only in the languages offered.
- I & II: USA, Affiliates, Bermuda, The Bahamas and Canada
- III: South America, Central America, Mexico, and Islands of the Caribbean Sea
- IV: Europe
- V: The Orient and Southeast Asia
- VI: India, South Asia and the Middle East
Date: April 28-30, 2023
Location: Visakhapatnam, India
Application Due Date: January 28, 2023
- VII: Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Indonesia and Islands of the South Pacific Ocean
Date: December 2-4, 2022
Location: Perth, Australia
Application Due Date: September 3, 2022
- VIII: Africa