Usable Glasses Give New Life
Refractive errors can be easily corrected with eyeglasses, yet millions living in low and middle income countries lack access to basic eye care services. Lions have recognized the urgent need for corrective lenses and collect usable glasses in their communities to support the Lions Recycle For Sight Program.
Get Started Today
Set up Collection Locations with Local Partners: Invite community partners such as local businesses, schools, optical shops, libraries, places of worship, city administrative centers and eye care professionals to host eyeglass collection boxes. Maintain contact with these partners and schedule regular pick-ups.
- Club Guide for Collecting Used Eyeglasses (iad401)
- Program brochure, Lions Recycle For Sight (iad403)
- LCI Eyeglass Collection Box (G1174DS) – order from Club Supplies Sales
Promote Your Club's Efforts:
- The Public Relations Guide(pr710) provides tips to help you promote your collection activities and encourage increased community participation.
- Recognize outstanding collections efforts with a Certificate of Appreciation (iad405)
- Add your club’s collection locations (iad404) on the Club Locator.
- Report your club’s collection activities via MyLCI.
Connect with a Lions Eyeglass Recycling Center (LERC):
Send your collected eyeglasses to an official Lions Eyeglass Recycling Center (LERC) for processing. There, the glasses are sorted to determine those that are usable or unusable, processed, and placed in inventory for distribution to optical missions around the world. Lions help to minimize landfill waste by supporting precious metal reclamation and scrap processing for damaged glasses that are unusable.
Lions Eyeglass Recycling Center (LERC) Guidelines:
If you are participating in used eyeglass collection, processing and/or distribution activities at a Lions Eyeglass Recycling Center (LERC), or if your district and/or multiple district is considering the establishment of a new LERC, please refer to the Lions Eyeglass Recycling Center (LERC) Guidelines (LERC 425).
For More Information
Lions Clubs International
Service Activities Division