Virtual Lions clubs use their phones and computers to serve their communities. These clubs establish a presence in a virtual space, and coordinate their in-person service efforts using a variety of virtual channels.
Forming a virtual club is a great option when individuals are pressed for time, restricted by geographic proximity to a club, or have limited mobility, among other reasons.
Chartering a Virtual Club
The process and policies of chartering a virtual Lions club are the same as chartering any Lions club, while considering the following:
- A virtual club’s district will be determined by the district of its sponsoring club as well as the geographical location of its members.
- Seventy five percent of the club’s charter members must live or work within the multiple district where the club is chartered.
- Club name must follow LCI naming conventions, and can include identifying terms such as Virtual, Online, etc.
- A virtual club’s constitution and by-laws can be revised to accommodate processes for the resolutions of disputes and virtual voting.
For information on how to charter a Lions club, check out the resources below:
- Starting a Lions Club
- Club branches are a way that a club can diversify their membership by engaging a small group of at least five people who want to make a difference in their community. For information on how to charter a virtual club branch, check out the Club Branch homepage.
A Virtual Club in Action
Virtual clubs rely on a variety of platforms to provide meaningful service, maintain member engagement, and develop new leaders. Some types of tools that are key to effectively support the actions of the club are listed below. Each club is different, and should choose the tools that work best for its members.
A Lion Account helps ensure you're getting the most out of your membership and your service. You'll have access to our full suite of digital tools, including MyLion, where you can report community service, and MyLCI, where you can provide updates on club and member information. Explore these helpful tools today by registering for an account.
Listed below is a five part web series that LCI has partnered with the Ohio County Virtual Lions Clubs to show how they have adopted a virtual platform to continue to impact their community:
Episode #2 – Fundraising during the Pandemic
Episode 3 – Recruiting in a Pandemic
Episode 4 – Serving in a Pandemic
Non-Lion platforms listed below are offered merely as examples. Lions International does not officially endorse, nor provide any incentive, discount or rebate, for the virtual platforms and applications mentioned.
Meeting platform: For all members to participate in the decision-making process, it is important to choose a meeting and communication platform that support simultaneous participation. Lion officers with a Lion Account have access to free virtual meeting software — Connect — designed to host club meetings and virtual events. Register or log in with your Lion Account credentials today.
Examples: Skype, WhatsApp Group/Conference, GotoMeeting, Zoom, and Facebook Group call, and traditional conference calls.
- Document exchange platform: To keep all club documentation in order and easily accessible to its members.
Examples: Office 365, google Mail, and Slack.
- Financial platform: To keep track of club finances, dues, funds raised, and make payments with ease.
Examples: A club’s bank’s online services, Paypal, and Square.
- Voting platform: To allow for ease of tracking as well as confidentiality of votes in club related matters.
Examples: Google Survey, SurveyMonkey, and Simply Voting.
- Service Project Planning Platform: To plan, promote, help implement, and report service projects.
Examples: We recommend using MyLion to report and plan your service projects. Register or log in with your Lion Account to begin. Other platform options include Facebook and SignUpGenius.
- Social Media accounts: To maintain a presence in virtual platforms visible to Lions and non-Lions where news, service activities, and recruiting information can be promoted.
Examples: Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, and Instagram.
MyLCI and Virtual Clubs
Virtual clubs are considered a management and meeting style within MyLCI. To updated your club's designation, simply login with your Lion Account credentials, select MyLCI and click the "Online" flag located in the "Meeting Location" section. Below are other resources to help you and your virtual club grow and serve your community. Check them out today!
Additional Resources for Virtual Clubs
- Your Club Your Way
- Virtual Clubs - A New Way to Connect
- How to Start a Virtual Club
- Lion Account resources
- Publicity Ideas
- Brand Guidelines
- Lions SMiLE – Social Media Including Lions Everywhere: Web and Facebook
- Active Virtual Clubs List
- Club Locator
- Specialty Clubs
- Serving Safely
- The Lions Blog
To learn more about Virtual Clubs, review the Virtual Clubs Frequently Asked Questions.
If you are a virtual club and want to share information, ideas on what tools and resources have worked for you, or have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.