As one of the Foundation’s most notable programs, SightFirst funds efforts to fight the major causes of preventable and reversible blindness and provide services to persons who are blind or have a visual impairment. This is accomplished through the support of eye health care delivery systems, training and infrastructure development.
Vision for All
Since 1990, SightFirst has played a major role in helping restore and improve the vision of millions around the world.
- More than US$356 million approved for over 1,330 projects in 102 countries
- 9.1 million cataract surgeries performed to restore sight
- 1,292 eye centers and training institutions built, expanded or equipped
- 1.8 million professional eye care and community health workers trained
- 164 million doses of Zithromax® distributed to control trachoma
- 218 million doses of Mectizan® distributed to halt the progression of onchocerciasis
Lions organize SightFirst projects in partnership with local health authorities, eye care professionals and other non-governmental organizations. Lions are actively involved in project management, fundraising, advocacy, coordination of outreach events and publicity. SightFirst projects employ one or more of the following strategies:
- Delivering eye care services
- Training eye care professionals and management personnel
- Upgrading the infrastructure of existing eye care systems
- Improving access to education and rehabilitation for persons who are blind or visually impaired
- Increasing public awareness of the importance of eye health
SightFirst supports the development of comprehensive eye care systems that provide preventative and diagnostic services and treatment for all relevant eye diseases as well as rehabilitation for those with irreversible blindness or low vision.
- SightFirst prioritizes aid to underserved populations unable to access eye care, education and/or rehabilitation because of economic, social or geographic barriers.
- SightFirst delivers equitable, high-quality eye care and rehabilitation services.
- SightFirst creates sustainable eye care systems by improving existing infrastructure and training local personnel to provide cost-effective services.
- SightFirst is data-driven, determining project feasibility through the analysis of surveys and assessing project integrity through regular monitoring and evaluation.
- Comprehensive Eye Care
- Eye Health Education
- Childhood Blindness
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Low Vision
- Uncorrected Refractive Error