Kindness Matters Service Award
This prestigious award is given annually to a handful of Lions and Leo clubs for performing an outstanding service project in one of our global cause areas. Nominated at the club level, the Kindness Matters Service Award is a challenge for Lions and Leos to develop exceptionally innovative and creative service projects with the aim of leaving a positive impact in their communities. Below, you'll find more information about some of the 2019-2020 winners' service projects.
For clubs to be eligible, they must be in active status, have completed a service project within a global cause area in the previous fiscal year and have reported it in MyLion® or their official regional reporting system.
Use the following criteria to determine if a service project could be considered for this award.
Did the project:
- Benefit one of our five global causes (diabetes, the environment, vision, childhood cancer or hunger)?
- Demonstrate innovation?
- Achieve impact of scale and long-term sustainability?
- Develop local partnerships?
- Use local Lions/Leo or Lions Clubs International resources?
How to be nominated
Nominations begin at the club level with Club Service Chairpersons nominating their club for service projects that fulfill the above stated criteria. Clubs are encouraged to reach out to their District GST Coordinator and Multiple District GST Coordinator to inform them about the details of the project which they would like to be considered for the award.
For clubs to be considered for the award, please adhere to the following timeline.
- July 1: Nominations are open
- August 15: Deadline for club service chairpersons and Leo club presidents to electronically send one nomination to the District GST coordinator
- September 15: Deadline for District GST coordinator to electronically send one nomination to the Multiple District GST coordinator
- October 31: Deadline for Multiple District GST coordinator to electronically send one nomination to Lions Clubs International
- January: Winners are selected by the LCI Board of Directors Service Activities Committee
- January 15: Winning clubs notified
- March 1: Winning clubs to receive their award from Lions Clubs International
Plan and report projects
To be considered for this award, planning and reporting projects is key! Use the resources below to help you succeed.
Report your service
Learn about the importance of reporting service projects and discover how to report your service with ease.
The service toolkit
Access a variety of resources specifically designed to help clubs carry out effective, high-impact service projects.
Service project planners
Discover over 20 detailed service project planners, outlining ways clubs can effectively serve in one of our global cause areas.