Kindness Matters Service Award
This prestigious award is given annually to a handful of Lions and Leo clubs for performing an outstanding service project in one of our global cause areas. Nominated at the club level, the Kindness Matters Service Award is a challenge for Lions and Leos to develop exceptionally innovative and creative service projects with the aim of leaving a positive impact in their communities. Below, you'll find more information about some of the 2020-2021 winners' service projects.
For clubs to be eligible, they must be in active status, have completed a service project that meets the needs of a cause area and have reported it in MyLion® or their official regional reporting system.
Use the following criteria to determine if a service project could be considered for this award.
- Addresses needs within Lions Clubs International and Lions Clubs International Foundation causes: diabetes, environment, vision, childhood cancer, hunger, disaster relief, youth, humanitarian
- Demonstrates creativity and innovation
- Achieves impact of scale and long-term sustainability
- Elevates the Lions brand
Check out the program overview resource to learn more about what is expected of clubs and GST Coordinators throughout the nomination process. It is highly encouraged that this document is read before submitting a nomination!
Nomination timeline 2022-2023
For clubs to be considered, please adhere to the following timeline. These are guiding deadlines to help the nomination process at the local level. Any nominations submitted to Lions International beyond October 31 will be disqualified.
Please note that all nominations should be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Lions International will not accept physical applications.
- July 1 to October 31: Nominations are open
- August 15: Deadline for club service chairpersons and Leo club presidents to electronically send one nomination to the district global service team (D GST) coordinator
- September 15: Deadline for D GST coordinator to electronically send one nomination to the multiple district (MD) GST coordinator
- October 31: Deadline for MD GST coordinator to electronically send one nomination to Lions International and copy the multiple council chairperson
- January: Winners are selected by the Lions International Board of Directors Service Activities Committee; winning clubs notified
- March: Winning clubs to receive their award from Lions International
Plan and report projects
To be considered for this award, planning and reporting projects is key! Use the resources below to help you succeed.
Report your service
Learn about the importance of reporting service projects and discover how to report your service with ease.
The service toolkit
Access a variety of resources specifically designed to help clubs carry out effective, high-impact service projects.
Service project planners
Discover over 20 detailed service project planners, outlining ways clubs can effectively serve in one of our global cause areas.