Communications Manager, LCIF
Relief for Chile
Lions Clubs International Foundation is committed to aiding communities affected by disasters, including the most recent disaster in Chile following an 8.8 earthquake on February 27. The earthquake is one of the largest ever recorded, and more than 700 people are dead and 2 million people displaced as a result of the devastation to more than 1 million residences. The earthquake hit near the second largest city, Conception, and more than 60 earthquake aftershocks have been recorded.
"Many of you know firsthand how quickly the Foundation acts after disaster," said LCIF Chairperson Al Brandel. "I have tried to call and sent messages to our two Past International Directors who live in Concepcion, but have not been able to reach them yet. LCIF staff and I will continue to try to contact them, as well as the District Governors and Council Chairperson of Multiple District T."
There are four districts in Chile, and three emergency grants each for $10,000 have been awarded to Districts T-1, T-2 and T-3. District T-3 includes the city of Conception, the hardest hit area in the country. Lions Clubs International Foundation awards approximately US$2 million each year in emergency grant funding, in addition to grants for larger disasters.
As more information is known after contacting the Lions in Chile, it will be posted to this Web page.
A designated account has been created for those wishing to make donations specifically for Chile earthquake relief.
- Donate online at www.lcif.org/donate. Select Disaster and include “Chile Earthquake Relief” in the comments section.
- Make a credit card donation with a MasterCard, Visa or American Express. Fax the following information to LCIF: name, address, phone number, credit card type, credit card number, expiration date, and amount of the donation. If you are a Lions member, please provide your clubs information. LCIF's fax number is (630) 571-5735.
- Mail LCIF a U.S. dollar check drawn on a U.S. financial institution. Make the check payable to Lions Clubs International Foundation, noting "Chile Earthquake Relief" in the memo. Please send the check to LCIF, 300 W. 22nd St., Oak Brook, IL 60523, USA, Attn.: Donor Services.
- Make a direct deposit of local currency into an existing LCI account. Send a copy to LCIF via fax to (630) 571-5735.
- Do a direct wire transfer. For assistance with this option please contact LCIF Donor Assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the single or multiple donor disaster donation form.
For questions, please contact LCIF at email@example.com or (630) 203-3836. Board policy states that designated funds are not eligible for Melvin Jones Fellowship credit. Donors wishing to receive Melvin Jones Fellowship credit may wish to consider instead making a donation to the LCIF general fund. Un-designated donations for MJFs and PMJFs make up as much as 80 percent of the donations to the Foundation's general fund, which supports standard grants, emergency grants and major catastrophe grants.
Donations from U.S. residents are tax deductible. Donations from residents of other countries are tax deductible as permitted by the individual's country tax laws.
Lions Clubs International Foundation is the charitable arm of Lions Clubs International, the largest service club organization in the world with more than 1.35 million members in 206 geographic areas and countries. LCIF was ranked by a Financial Times' study as the number one non-governmental organization with which to partner. Learn more about LCIF online at www.lcif.org.
EN BILD AV FRED
Lions Clubs International
300 W. 22nd Street, Oak Brook, IL 60523-8842