Japan Quake/Tsunami Relief
Providing Relief in Japan
Following the devastating earthquake and tsunami in March 2011, we've mobilized more than US$21 million to provide disaster relief in Japan. This includes generous donations from Lions around the world and LCIF grants.
Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Projects
With more than 100,000 Lions in Japan, relief efforts are well underway.
- US$1 million is providing 2,000 high pressure cleaners to reduce radiation levels. The cleaners will help remove or clean the surfaces of private buildings and households, which will assist an estimated 20,000 people.
- US$1.2 million will provide kitchen supplies and equipment for three locations along the coast of Tohoku to help revitalize the seafood industry. The local government will provide the land and buildings for this project, which will help an estimated 20,000 people.
- US$1.5 million is creating a special victims’ assistance fund and Lions command and operation centers. This project will enable Lions in Japan to plan for long-term needs and assist with ongoing earthquake and tsunami relief and recovery efforts.
- US$397,403 will help construct coin laundries in heavily damaged areas to help thousands of people who do not have access to washers and dryers. Lions are also working with the government to obtain land donations for this project. Each location will also include a community meeting space to help reestablish regular Lion clubs' meetings.
- US$311,688 will provide emergency radio equipment for temporary housing areas, where radio broadcasts are currently not available. This project will provide thousands of units that will help an estimated 30,000 people.
Lions are also working with the Tasuki Project – an organization that delivers bags of personal care items to disaster victims – to help fund the delivery of these bags. In addition, Lions continue to meet with Japan Red Cross to formulate mid- to long-term joint relief solutions, including blood drives to address the severe shortage of blood.
Lions Clubs International
300 W. 22nd Street, Oak Brook, IL 60523-8842