Lions, LCIF Providing Relief for China Earthquake
Lions Clubs International Foundation has awarded US$50,000 in emergency grants to assist Lions in their relief efforts. Lions throughout China are providing emergency relief, and Lions from Beijing; District 380, Shenzhen; District 381, Guangdong;
District 382, Dalian; and District383 Qingdao traveled to the area to
provide relief supplies including tents, food and medicine.
More than 2,200 are dead, more than 12,000 injured and 15,000 buildings were destroyed as a result of the 6.9 earthquake April 14 in the impoverished mountain area of western China. The disaster caused serious damages to Yushi, Qinghai, destroying 85% of buildings in the township.
The area borders Sichuan Province, which was hard hit by a May 2008 earthquake that killed 70,000 people. Lions from throughout China provided relief for that disaster as well, and LCIF mobilized more than US$3 million to rebuild homes, schools and infrastructure.
Lions Clubs International Foundation awards nearly US$2 million annually in emergency grants, in addition to major catastrophe funding for larger-scale disasters. Lions around the world are responding. PID Somsakdi Lovisuth, Thailand, has made a personal contribution of US$10,000.
You can help.
Examples of What Your Donation Can Provide
Water, Food and Clothing:
$25-$50 – Can provide water, food rations, clothing and shoes to keep a family or several individuals fed, protected and sustained for at least one week or more.
$100-$250 – Can provide first aid and medical supplies for one shift of emergency first aid for the backlog of injured.
Re-build and Establish Community Infrastructure:
$500-$1,000 – Can help provide a portion of the funds to be used in rebuilding homes. After several weeks, many other relief organizations will finish providing disaster aid and allow locals to do the rest on their own. But not Lions.
- Donate online at www.lcif.org/donate. Select Disaster.
- Make a credit card donation with a MasterCard, Visa or American Express. Fax the following information to LCIF: name, address, phone number, credit card type, credit card number, expiration date, and amount of the donation. If you are a Lions member, please provide your clubs information. LCIF's fax number is (630) 571-5735.
- Mail LCIF a U.S. dollar check drawn on a U.S. financial institution. Make the check payable to Lions Clubs International Foundation. Please send the check to LCIF, 300 W. 22nd St., Oak Brook, IL 60523, USA, Attn.: Donor Services.
- Make a direct deposit of local currency into an existing LCI account. Send a copy to LCIF via fax to (630) 571-5735.
- Do a direct wire transfer. For assistance with this option please contact LCIF Donor Assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the single or multiple donor disaster donation form and mail or fax to LCIF
Donations from U.S. residents are tax deductible. Donations from residents of other countries are tax deductible as permitted by the individual's country tax laws.
Lions Clubs International Foundation is the charitable arm of Lions Clubs International. Established in 1968, LCIF is committed to providing humanitarian services to those in need, including providing disaster relief, saving sight, supporting youth and combating disability. Each year, LCIF typically awards US$2 million in emergency grant relief funding. Learn more at www.lcif.org.
A PICTURE OF PEACE
Lions Clubs International
300 W. 22nd Street, Oak Brook, IL 60523-8842