Relief for Chile
Lions Clubs International Foundation is committed to aiding communities affected by disasters, including the most recent disaster in Chile. There are four districts in ChileT-1, T-2, T-3 and T-4. Each district has been awarded US$10,000 in emergency funding. District T-3 includes the city of Concepcion, the hardest hit area in the country. Lions Clubs International Foundation awards approximately US$2 million each year in emergency grant funding, in addition to grants for larger disasters.
"Many of you know firsthand how quickly the Foundation acts after disaster," said LCIF Chairperson Al Brandel. LCIF staff is still trying to reach Lions in Chile. As more information is known after contacting the Lions in Chile, it will be posted to this Web page.
The 8.8 earthquake that struck on February 27 is one of the largest ever recorded, and more than 800 people are dead and 2 million people displaced as a result of the devastation to more than 1 million residences. The earthquake hit near the second largest city, Concepcion, and more than 120 earthquake aftershocks have been recorded.
Lions around the world have donated US$116,643 including several large contributions from multiple districts:
- Multiple District 201, Australia, donated US$31,300
- Lions in Multiple District 335, Japan, donated US$25,449
- Lions in Finland have pledged US$25,000
- The OSEAL Forum Committee has committed US$10,000
- Multiple District 330, Japan, contributed US$8875
- Donate online at www.lcif.org/donate. Select Disaster and include “Chile Earthquake Relief” in the comments section.
- Make a credit card donation with a MasterCard, Visa or American Express. Fax the following information to LCIF: name, address, phone number, credit card type, credit card number, expiration date, and amount of the donation. If you are a Lions member, please provide your clubs information. LCIF's fax number is (630) 571-5735.
- Mail LCIF a U.S. dollar check drawn on a U.S. financial institution. Make the check payable to Lions Clubs International Foundation, noting "Chile Earthquake Relief" in the memo. Please send the check to LCIF, 300 W. 22nd St., Oak Brook, IL 60523, USA, Attn.: Donor Services.
- Make a direct deposit of local currency into an existing LCI account. Send a copy to LCIF via fax to (630) 571-5735.
- Do a direct wire transfer. For assistance with this option please contact LCIF Donor Assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions, please contact LCIF at email@example.com or (630) 203-3836. Board policy states that designated funds are not eligible for Melvin Jones Fellowship credit. Donors wishing to receive Melvin Jones Fellowship credit may wish to consider instead making a donation to the LCIF general fund. Un-designated donations for MJFs and PMJFs make up as much as 80 percent of the donations to the Foundation's general fund, which supports standard grants, emergency grants and major catastrophe grants.
Donations from U.S. residents are tax deductible. Donations from residents of other countries are tax deductible as permitted by the individual's country tax laws.
Lions Clubs International Foundation is the charitable arm of Lions Clubs International, the largest service club organization in the world with 1.35 million members in 206 geographic areas and countries. LCIF was ranked by a Financial Times' study as the number one non-governmental organization with which to partner. Learn more about LCIF online at www.lcif.org.
A PICTURE OF PEACE
Lions Clubs International
300 W. 22nd Street, Oak Brook, IL 60523-8842