Club discussion is valuable for building a team environment, but inner-club conflict may arise when Leos express a difference of opinion during a club meeting. It is normal for club conflicts to feel challenging. To prepare for this situation, you should:
- Know when and how to rule a member "out of order", call for a vote, table a discussion, or refer the discussion to a committee.
- Ask the Leo to state the disputed issue in the form of a motion.
- Understand that this Leo wants to either: raise awareness of the issue; request action on the issue; or express an opinion.
- Allow fellow Leos to help settle the dispute. Most Leos are interested in maintaining order during club meetings. Their intervention may be helpful.
- Enter the resolution into the official club minutes.
When handled constructively, differences of opinion can:
- Encourage the exchange of valuable opinions.
- Stimulate interest in an activity.
- Reveal problems.
- Resolve tension.
- Increase motivation.