The Lions Eye Health Program (LEHP) is a community-based education program empowering Lions to promote healthy vision and raise awareness of the causes of preventable vision loss.
- Encourage the early detection and timely treatment of diabetic eye disease, glaucoma and age-related macular degeneration (AMD), and the appropriate treatment for low vision.
- Help educate people at risk for eye disease and encourage them to seek appropriate treatment.
- Establish community activities that promote awareness of eye health. These include distribution of eye health materials at appropriate locations (doctors' offices, senior citizens centers, schools, youth groups, health fairs and other venues), vision screenings and eye health presentations.
- Increase awareness of the network of eye health organizations concerned with diabetic eye disease, glaucoma, AMD and low vision. Local collaboration with these organizations may provide useful resources for Lions interested in promoting awareness of eye health and the causes of preventable vision loss.
Co-branded with National Eye Institute/National Eye Health Education Program (NEI/NEHEP), LEHP materials are perfect for your community eye health education, health fairs and speaking events.
- Choose materials from three outstanding programs.
- All resources can be downloaded and printed locally; or you may order in quantity from LCI for a nominal charge Please allow 3-4 weeks for order processing.
Promote Healthy Vision in Your Community
Making Vision a Health Priority - Share the importance of vision health in your community.
Age-Related Eye Diseases and Conditions - Many people are not aware that age-related eye diseases are treatable -- or even preventable. Inform them to help prevent vision loss.
Low Vision - Present information about low vision, what can be done about it, and where to get more information.
Children's Eye Health & Safety Activity Sheets - Incorporate eye health worksheets into your youth-related projects such as vision screenings, awareness and literacy.
More Information and Resources
For Lions clubs in the USA, the National Eye Institute has a limited supply of free materials on eye health and eye diseases. Access their online catalog. Orders may be placed by e-mail to Rosie Janiszewski, or by phone at 301-496-5248. You must identify yourself as a Lion in order to access materials for free.
Additional eye health information:
AMD Alliance International
American Optometric Association
International Diabetes Federation
International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness
World Health Organization