What is an Eye Bank?
An eye bank’s professional staff performs valuable functions that support sight-saving procedures by retrieving and storing healthy eye tissue for corneal transplants and research. Eye banks recover, evaluate, store and distribute human eye tissue for vision restoration, research and education. Eye surgeons rely on eye banks to supply them with tissue for sight-saving procedures.
A Lions Eye Bank is a not-for-profit organization that:
- Operates within established Lions Clubs International Board Policy for the program
- Is sponsored by a Lions club, district or multiple district
- Has an established working relationship with a medical facility
- Complies with government medical and education standards
- May coordinate Lions’ financial assistance for sight-saving corneal transplant surgery
Opportunities for Your Club
Frequently Asked Questions