Lions Day with the United Nations 2014
On Saturday, February 15, 2014, Lions gathered in New York to celebrate the 36th Annual Lions Day with the United Nations (LDUN). Approximately 450 Lions and guests from 30 countries attended the event held at UN Headquarters. The event commemorated the long-standing partnership between Lions and the United Nations with a special emphasis on the fulfillment of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
A few memorable moments from the 2014 Lions Day with the United Nations were:
- Lions received a warm welcome to UN Headquarters from Usman Iftikhar, Policy Advisor, MDGs, Bureau for Development Policy, UNDP.
- President Barry J. Palmer commended Lions for their service under the Global Service Action Campaigns and the overwhelming dedication that Lions have demonstrated in working to eradicate extreme poverty around the globe.
- Dr. Adil Najam, International Relations Professor and Nobel Peace Prize recipient, discussed the need for the UN and the civil society to come together to achieve sustainable development initiatives post-2015.
- Lions attended a luncheon at the UN in which UN ambassadors and representatives from different countries joined in the celebration.
- Lions William Mou and Wendi Dwyer talked about their involvement in South Sudan under the Literacy at the Well program.
- Announcement of the 2014 Peace Poster Contest and Essay Contest winners.
For more information, please see the detailed 2014 LDUN program and view photos from the event.
2015 Lions Day with the United Nations
Information on the 2015 event will be posted as it becomes available. If you would like to be notified when the date has been set, please contact the Program Development Department.