Lions Day with the United Nations
On Friday, February 1, 2013, Lions gathered in New York to celebrate the 35th Annual Lions Day with the United Nations (LDUN). Approximately 350 Lions and guests from 20 countries attended the event held at UN Headquarters. The event commemorated the long-standing partnership between Lions and the United Nations with a special emphasis on the fulfillment of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
A few memorable moments from the 2013 Lions Day with the United Nations were,
- The warm welcome to UN Headquarters from Peter Launsky-Tieffenthal, UN Under-Secretary General for Communications & Public Information
- President Wayne A. Madden’s address regarding the Reading Action Program and the overwhelming dedication that Lions have demonstrated to improving literacy around the globe
- The President & CEO of the American Foundation for the Blind, Carl R. Augusto, reading an excerpt from this year’s essay contest winner
- A luncheon at the UN in which more than twenty UN ambassadors and representatives joined Lions
- Dr. Nicholas Alipui, Director of UNICEF Programmes, discussing the need for the UN and the civil society to come together to achieve the global development initiatives post-2015
- A panel discussion, including three Lions panelists and three representatives from International NGOs, that centered on global education as it relates to hunger, poverty, children, and youth
- The announcement of the 2012-13 Peace Poster Contest Grand Prize Winner, revealed by President Madden and two past winners, Min-Ji Yi and Danielle (Hernandez) Petry
2014 Lions Day with the United Nations
Information on the 2014 event will be posted as it becomes available. If you would like to be notified when the date has been set, please contact the Program Development Department.
Lions Clubs International
300 W. 22nd Street, Oak Brook, IL 60523-8842