Lions clubs in developed countries can grant scholarships to deserving students through Lions clubs in developing countries. Lions children are not eligible. This program is intended for the benefit of the poorest students. Aid is mainly granted to students in the crafts although students following academic careers could receive scholarships funds.
The student is to remain in his/her own country to continue studying.
The GRANTOR CLUB, in a developed country, agrees to provide a scholarship to a needy student through a Lions club in a developing country. The conditions for granting a scholarship are left entirely to the discretion of the GRANTOR CLUB. The SUPERVISOR CLUB, in a developing country, selects the student according to the requirements established by the GRANTOR CLUB. The SUPERVISOR CLUB also supervises the student and insures that at all times the recipient is a credit to Lionism, to both clubs and to the community.
The amount of the scholarship should be determined by the economic standards of the countries and areas involved.
The following suggested requirements are established by the GRANTOR CLUB.
- Should be in need of financial support.
- Should submit reports as requested to the SUPERVISOR CLUB and GRANTOR CLUB with occasional statements from instructors and/or professors regarding progress, grades and deportment.
- Should submit duplicates of all matriculation papers to SUPERVISOR and GRANTOR CLUBS.
- Should maintain correspondence with GRANTOR CLUB.
- Should provide, if possible, photographs to GRANTOR CLUB of family and him/her.
- Should send a copy of earned diploma or degree to the GRANTOR and SUPERVISOR CLUBS.
- Should agree to appear before Lions club(s) to share personal observations and experiences.
* Lions Clubs International Foundation (LCIF) has some funding available for vocational assistance programs for the disabled. For information, contact LCIF.
To request or offer vocational assistance, please use the Lion-2-Lion assistance database.
Reading Action Program
Join President Madden's campaign to increase literacy »
Lions Clubs International
300 W. 22nd Street, Oak Brook, IL 60523-8842