Strides: Lions for Diabetes Awareness
What is Strides: Lions for Diabetes Awareness?
A Strides event is a highly visible, family-friendly activity that combines fun with service. It is an effective way for you to:
- engage and empower your community in the fight against diabetes
- show your support for those living with diabetes and their families
- raise funds (optional) for diabetes projects in your club or district
Strides promotes diabetes awareness and the importance of healthy exercise for people with diabetes or those at risk for the disease. Strides events can include:
- Dog walking
- Other physical activities that promote healthy exercise.
How to Organize a Strides Event
- Use our materials order form to obtain the Strides Information Packet (US$5) or download from the website. It contains a club guide, community poster, sample press release, sample registration form and more resources for planning your event. You can also order educational materials to distribute in your community.
- Form a committee of at least five Lions to plan and organize a club or district event.
- Note: Strides can be used to earn funds at the discretion of the participating club(s) or district. Funds may benefit your local projects, such as diabetes programs, camps, schools or individuals in need of diabetes medical supplies.
How to Publicize a Strides Event
Access the Lions Public Relations Guide and Strides press release for tips on promoting your event. You can download the Strides logo to create community announcements, a Strides banner, tee shirts, caps, etc.
All publications, and the Strides lapel pin, can be ordered for a nominal charge. Publications can be downloaded for local printing, too.
Download or order the Strides Information Packet (US$5) to help plan a successful Strides event. Kit contents include:
Club Guide (iad184) - watch for updated version coming soon!
Strides Fact Sheet (iad471)
Diabetes Program Brochure (iad472)
Top 10 Tips for Organizing a Strides Event (iad478)
Community Poster (iad477a)
Sample Press Release (iad485)
Sample Local Government Proclamation (iad483)
Sample Waiver (iad481)
Sample Registration Form (iad482)
Suggested Event Day Time Line (iad197) - watch for updated version coming soon!
Certificate of Participation (iad474)
Materials Order Form (iad488)
Remember to order a quantity of the Strides lapel pins to recognize Lions and community members who participate in a Strides event. They are available for US$1.00 each.
For more information about the Strides Program, contact the Health and Children’s Services Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reading Action Program
Join President Madden's campaign to increase literacy »
Lions Clubs International
300 W. 22nd Street, Oak Brook, IL 60523-8842