Language and literature cultural and community activities fall into many categories. Adapt one
of these helpful project ideas to the specific needs of your own
Language project suggestions:
- Work with the language departments of local schools to organize an international event.
- Encourage young people to develop an appreciation for their own language and other languages.
scholarships for students of language.
- Sponsor a public speaking contest for local youth.
- Organize a public lecture series.
Literature project suggestions:
- Arrange for a public reading of a book or poetry by a local author.
- Sponsor a short story or poetry writing contest. Arrange for the local newspaper to publish winning entries.
- Purchase new books for the local library or school.
- To encourage literacy in young children, establish a public storybook hour.
- Organize a reading club for children. Offer prizes for avid readers.
- Sponsor a used book sale.
- Donate US$500 to LCIF for the UNICEF School-in-a-Box Program and
receive a Lions/UNICEF School-in-a-Box banner patch award. For more
information, click here.