Overcoming the Challenges of Hearing Impairment
According to the World Health Organization, 360 million worldwide have disabiling hearing loss. Another 1.1 billion people are at risk of hearing loss.
- Children with hearing impairment can experience delays in the development of speech, language and cognitive skills.
- In adults, hearing impairment and deafness can make it difficult to obtain and keep employment.
- Hearing impaired children and adults are often socially stigmatized and isolated.
Lions service activities for people who are deaf or have a hearing impairment may include:
- Hearing loss awareness campaigns
- Hearing screenings
- Hearing aid recycling program
- Recreational camps for the deaf and hearing impaired
- Assistance for the deaf and hearing impaired individuals